HEASC Resource Center
Quick links to resources from HEASC Member Associations
- AACC - American Association of Community Colleges
- AASCU - American Association of State Colleges & Universities
- AASHE - Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- ACPA - College Student Educators International
- ACUHO-I - Association of College and University Housing Officers - International
- APPA - Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers
- CSHEMA - Campus Saftey, Health, and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA)
- CCCU - Council of Christian Colleges & Universities
- NACUBO - National Association of College & University Business Officers
- NAEP - National Association of Educational Procurement
- NAICU - National Association of Independent Colleges & Universities
- NIRSA: Leaders in Collegiate Recreation
Quick links to other Resources
- HEASC Fellows Resources (valuable resources for career counselors, development officers, faculty, procurement officers, etc.)
- Sustainable Meetings & Events
- Sustainable Purchasing
- Climate and Energy
- Professional Development
- HEASC Legislative Actions
- Clean Energy Education: Final Call to Action
- HEASC Call to Action: Sustainability in Job Descriptions and Performance Reviews
- AACC's Sustainability Education & Economic Development (SEED) Center
- Funding Sustainability at Community Colleges - Jennifer Hayward
- Campus as a Living Lab: Using the Built Environment to Revitalize College Education
- Going Green: The Vital Role of Community Colleges in Building a Sustainable Future and a Green Workforce (report of the National Council on Workforce Development)
- Sustainable Development Resolution (pdf)
- The Community College Times covers sustainability. See list of archived 'green' and sustainability focused stories.
- A Guide to Climate Resiliency & The Community College
- Civic Engagement in Action Series: Creating New Models for Student Understanding
- AASCU Names Sustainability One of Top 10 State Policy Issues for Higher Education in 2009 (pdf)
- The State College Role in Advancing Environmental Sustainability: Policies, Programs and Practices (pdf)
- Funding Sustainability Projects (guide prepared by AASCU's Grants Resource Center)
- AASHE's Mission, Vision, and Goals
- AASHE Resource Center
- AASHE Bulletin - weekly e-newsletter that delivers the latest campus sustainability news, resources, opportunities, events and job listings. Subscribers include campus administrators, faculty, staff, students and professionals interested in campus sustainability.
- AASHE STARS (Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System)
- AASHE Campus Sustainability Discussion Forums - a place to post questions about higher education sustainability topics, as well as respond to existing queries in your area of expertise
- AASHE Publications and "how-to" guides
- Change Agent Abilities Required to Help Create a Sustainable Future
- Education for Sustainable Development Primer
- Envisioning a Student Affairs Division that Supports Sustainability
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Materials Guidebook
- Tool Kit for a Better World: Ideas for Campus Activities that Support and Educate about Sustainable Living
- Toward A Sustainable Future: The Role of Student Affairs in Creating Healthy Environments, Social Justice, and Strong Economies
- Triple Bottom Line Quick Guide
- ACUHO-I Sustainability
- Core Competencies (created 07/03/12, sustainability core competencies listed on pg. 18)
- Sustainability Advisory Committee (SAC) (created in 2008, reports to ACUHO-I President)
- 21st Century Project (multi-phased initiative for construction of new, state-of-the-art residential facility)
- The Sustainability Scene – August 2013 Newsletter
- Webinar 1/16/14 - Strategies for Supporting Sustainable Living in the Residence Halls
- ACUHO-I Annual Conference & Exposition – Sustainability Track
- Facilities Manger: Water Management & Sustainability – March/April 2013 Issue
- Facilities Manger: Environmental Sustainability – March/April 2013 Issue
- Facilities Manager: Sustaining Community College – May/June 2011 Issue
- Facilities Manager: Environmental Sustainability – March/April 2011 Issue
- Facilities Manager: Energy Utilities & Sustainability – March/April 2009 Issue
- Facilities Manager: Sustainability & Environmental Stewardship – March/April 2008 Issue
- Facilities Manager: Sustainability – January/February 2005 Issue
- The Green Campus: Meeting the Challenge of Environmental Sustainability (Walter Simpson) (book)
- Environmental Compliance Assistance Guide for Colleges and Universities (in partnership with Campus Safety, Health and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA)) (book)
- The Educational Professional's Practical Guide to Reducing the Campus Carbon Footprint - (January 2009) (book) Provides pragmatic assistance for facilities managers to effectively implement a carbon reduction plan.
- Evaluating Institutional Green Building Policies
Presentations & Webinars
- Reducing Greenhouse Gases and Achieving Climate Neutrality
FREE! Describes organizational ingredients necessary for building a successful campus energy program, emphasizing energy conservation, green building design, green power purchasing, and renewable energy generation. Other topics include energy policies, green computing, energy awareness, working with ESCOs, obtaining top level support, the key role of facilities managers, and developing climate action plans
- Sustainability Award offered by APPA
- CCCU Awards Creation Care Mini-Grants to Six Institutions (March 2009)
- Three CCCU Schools Win Chill Out Climate Action on Campus Awards
- Students from Six CCCU Campus Sweep Creation Care Video Contest Awards
- Creation Care Student Videos
- NACUBO's sustainabilty web page
- Sustainability Advisory Panel (appointed by NACUBO's President)
- NACUBO, in partnership with the Campus Safety, Health, and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA), APPA, and the Campus Consortium for Environmental Excellence (C2E2), launched the CampusERC website.
- Boldly Sustainable: Hope & Opportunity for Higher Education in the age of Climate Change - Peter Bardaglio and Andrea Putman (book)
- The Business Case for Renewable Energy: A Guide for Colleges and Universities - Andrea Putman and Michael Philips (book)
- List of sustainability articles in "Business Officer" magazine
- Sustainability news items from NACUBO
Presentations & Webinars
- Creating a Greenhouse Gas Inventory – What Does it Take? (webinar)
- Commit to Change: Leading Your Campus Towards Climate Neutrality (webinar)
- NAEP's Sustainability Webpage (member only)
- NAEP's Sustainability Committee (pdf)
- NAEP Sustainability Community
- Green Procurement Survey (April 2009) NAEP and SciQuest. View the results.
- Readings to Build a Self Concept of Engagement in Sustainability Solutions - compiled by John Omohundro
- Reuse and Recycling C&D Materials - Brian Yeoman, Winter 2007
- Talk About an Opportunity - Brian Yeoman, Fall 2007
- House Buying Primer - Brian Yeoman, Summer 2007
- Green Purchasing - Brian Yeoman, Sping 2007
- Totally Unprepared - Brian Yeoman, Winter 2006
- Construction and Demolition Waste - Brian Yeoman, Sept 2006
- Is Greening on Campus Hard to Do? - Brian Yeoman, July 2006
- Another Arrow in the Quiver: Local Green Materials - Brian Yeoman, March 2006
- Baby Steps Do Count - Brian Yeoman, December 2005
- Environmental Purchasing Ethics - Brian Yeoman, September 2005
- Student-Driven Sustainability Effort at Princeton University - Brian Yeoman, June 2005
- Out, Out, Brown Spot; or, Ceiling Tile Alternatives - Brian Yeoman & Linda Paisley, March 2005
- A Word -- or Two about Technology - Brian Yeoman and George Morrell, "NAEB Journal", April 2004
- Leadership, Stewardship, and Excellence -- Reaching Together for the Stars - Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", Feb 2004
- The Green Alternative to Pest Management - Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", August 2004
- Leadership in Transformational Times - Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", October 2004
- Fly Ash--Cast in Concrete - Brian Yeoman and Linda Paisley, "NAEB Journal", Spring 2003
- The Most Precious Resource--Water - Brian Yeoman, Linda Paisley & Marisa Hegyesi, "NAEB Journal", Fall 2003
- Don't Demolish That Building--Deconstruct It - Marisa Miller Hegyesi and Brian Yeoman, "College Planning & Management", June 2002
- Can We Become Responsible? - Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", Summer 2002
- Broadening the Definition of Health at the University of Texas Health Science Center - Charles Figari and Brian Yeoman, "College Services", August 2002
- Is There Such a Thing as a Zero-Emissions Vehicle? - Marisa Miller Hegyesi and Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", Fall 2002
- Status of Our Profession - panel with Brian Yeoman and others, "NAEB Journal", Summer 2001
- The Failure (and Success) of Recycling - Brian Yeoman and John C. McKee , "NAEB Journal", Spring 2000
- Mythology in our Society - Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", Winter 1999
- Lifetime Product Liability - A Model for a Future - Brian Yeoman, "NAEB Journal", Nov 1997
The NIRSA Commission for Sustainable Communities (CSC), co-chaired by Pam Su, San Francisco State University and Tom Kirch, Oregon State University, was constituted in December of 2011. The Commission created a sustainability model and list of questions for collegiate recreation professionals about their sustainability habits and goals, and a "Why and Why Now" framework showing why NIRSA should be engaged in these issues. The work of the commission continues to help NIRSA embed sustainability into the culture of the association and its professional, student, institutional and associate members.
Presentations, Webinars and Articles
- Greening campuses through collegiate recreation (2013 NIRSA News Article)
- “Valuing Sustainability in Collegiate Recreation” model and accompanying “Questions” (2012)
- Campus Recreation: Bold Partners in Sustainability (2011) (presentation)
- Choices with Purpose: How Your Purchases Can Positively Impact Sustainability (2011) (webinar)
These resources were created by HEASC Fellows
Assessing Supply Chain Emissions in Higher Education: Who, Why and How. By Erin Stanforth, November 2013-2014
- Green and Sustainability Jobs and Career Resources, article published in Career Convergence magazine, a google doc of Sustainability Career Resources, and posters for your use to promote this resource (letter size or legal size), compiled by multiple HEASC Fellows, Alessandra Carreon and Debra Rowe, October 2013-2015
- What are We Advancing? Advancing Sustainability in Higher Education: Integration of the University and College Development Office, By Eileen Joseph, October 2013
- Community Partnerships: A Key Component of Sustainability, By Sean Williamson, June 2013
These resources were collected to assist HEASC member associations in making their meetings and conferences greener.
Meeting Planning Support
- Green Meeting Industry Council (GMIC)
- Green Event Resources from Earthwatch Institute
- BlueGreen Meetings
- HEASC Sustainable Meetings and Conferences Report (PDF) (October 2007)
This report was written to help HEASC members understand the trends that are occurring in the green meeting industry and to provide the best resources for helping members implement sustainable practices in their own meetings and conferences.
- Sustainable Meetings and Conferences Questionnaire (Doc) (June 2007)
This document was created for ACUHO-I as a list of criteria that could be included in an RFP when seeking venues for meetings and conferences. It was assembled from several sources including the Convention Industry Council's "Green Meetings Report", CERES' "Green Hotels Resource Guide", and the National Recycling Coalition's "Green Meetings Policy." Feel free to download this document and use in your own RFPs. It is divided into functional sections so you can use the portions that are applicable to your event and modify as needed.
- Arizona State University Green Events Program
Arizona State University has a comprehensive program on greening events on their campus. Some of these practices can be adapted by your organization. Be sure to refer to the Green Event Checklist as well.
Sustainable Conference Products
- Enviro-Tote®, Inc. makes environmentally friendly promotional tote bags that can be used for meetings or conferences. They offer various types of bags made from unbleached and colored cotton, certified organic cotton, and The Bottle Bag™, a material made from 100% recycled soda bottles. Bags can be imprinted with your logo and a custom message.
- GreatGifts4U.com offers many eco-friendly items for campus and conference events.
- MayaWorks offers fairly traded, fabric products hand-made by Guatemalan artisans including conference items.
- Rivanna Natural Designs creates environmentally and socially responsible recognition awards and gifts. These include gifts and plaques created from FSC-certified wood and from recycled materials. Rivanna is a small, woman-owned business based in Charlottesville, VA. You can download their catalog (PDF).
- Rebadge - recycled badge holder. Rebadge is a clear PLA (poly lactic acid) badge holder made from plants, not plastic, and is certified compostable by ASTM D6400 and DIN EN13432 standards.
- Assessing Supply Chain Emissions in Higher Education: Who, Why, and How? By Erin Stanforth, November 2013
- Whistler 2020 Sustainable Purchasing Guidelines
Developed by the Resort Community of Whistler (BC). "Sustainable purchasing is about including social, environmental, financial and performance factors in a systematic way. It involves thinking about the reasons for using the product (the service) and assessing how these services could be best met. If a product is needed, sustainable purchasing involves considering how products are made, what they are made of, where they come from and how they will be used and disposed of." These guidelines offer a glossary, tools, purchasing assessments for key product classes, and worksheets for assessing unique or infrequently purchased items.
- AASHE Resources on Sustainable Purchasing
- Responsible Purchasing Network
- ACCED-I's e-Communique. The Association of Collegiate Conference and Events Directors-International's (ACCED-I) first installment of a two-part article on campus sustainability as it relates to greening conferences and events held on college and university campuses. Part one of Environmental Sustainability in Conference & Event Services, by Scott D. Doyle, residential and event services at Cornell University, appears in the April/May 2006 of ACCED-I's member publication e-Communique.
ACUPCC webcasts sponsored by HEASC Members
- Creating a Greenhouse Gas Inventory – What Does it Take? (NACUBO)
Explains general principles of conducting a GHG inventory, while providing contrasting examples from two campuses that have used different methods. Includes experts from Clean Air-Cool Planet (CA-CP) and AASHE, and stories from the University of California, Berkeley and Unity College (Maine).
- Commit to Change: Leading Your Campus Towards Climate Neutrality (NACUBO)
Three CFO’s and a facilities director speak about the strategies they have employed to lead their campus team toward climate neutrality. They also provide an ACUPCC overview and implementation refresher, discuss the far reaching impact of the Commitment, and approaches for financing sustainability on your campus.
- Reducing Greenhouse Gases and Achieving Climate Neutrality (APPA)
Describes the organizational ingredients necessary for building a successful campus energy program, emphasizing energy conservation, green building design, green power purchasing, and renewable energy generation. Other topics covered include energy policies, green computing, energy awareness, working with ESCOs, obtaining top level support, the key role of facilities managers, and developing climate action plans.
- Creating a Greenhouse Gas Inventory – What Does it Take? (NACUBO)
- Greg Craven, high school science teacher from Monmouth, Oregon, has created clever and informative presentations around the complex issue of climate disruption. Check out and share his wisdom by clicking here.
- Stop Leaving Money on the Table and Pollution in Your Community! by Josh Prigge, HEASC Fellow 2012.
- Sustainability: The Journal of Record - covers higher education sustainability.
Presentations & Webinars
- Higher Education Associations Sustainability Consortium (ppt) Brian Yeoman
- Education for a Sustainable Future: What You Need to Know (pdf)
Learn from national experts Debra Rowe (US Partnership), Judy Walton (AASHE) and Terry Calhoun (SCUP) about sustainability education in curriculum, facilities, purchasing, student life and more. Share this one-hour teleconference with your staff and association members.
- Sustainability in Higher Education (ppt) Tony Cortese
- Sustaining God's Creation: The Role of Higher Education (pdf) Tony Cortese
- HEASC Sustainability Workshop
Held for ACUHO-I staff, April 2007. Contains links to resources as well as comprehensive lists created by the ACUHO-I staff as a result of examining ways that their respective functional groups can apply sustainability principles to their practices and operations.
- Story of Stuff - Annie Leonard
A 20-minute look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns.
- Sustainability 101 (1-hour) and Sustainability: Step by Natural Step (3-hour)
Innovative e-learning experiences developed by The Natural Step that provide practical sustainability education to a broad base of business, government, and community organizations that are serious about moving towards more sustainable operations
- Media Strategy
- HEASC Website Guidelines for Sustainability Pages (pdf) - A short guide that can help get you started!
- Support the ACUPCC (checklist) examples of how your organization can promote the ACUPCC to your constituents
Reports, Articles, Case Studies
- Case studies, principles, checklists and resources developed by ASAE (American Society of Association Executives) and the Center for Association Leadership to help associations and their members be socially responsible.
- Education for a Sustainable Future - Science Magazine, Debra Rowe
A Policy Forum that highlights the formation of HEASC and its mission as well as the national trends toward education for sustainability. Read a Summary.
- For Our Future - learn how sustainability is affecting campus operations, curriculum, housing and more.
- A (Recycled, Of Course) Six-Pack of Sustainability Lessons from the Past Year in Higher Education, by Terry Calhoun, director of media relations and publications, SCUP. Reprinted with permission from SCUP.
Listservs and Blogs
- Green Schools (GRNSCH-L) - the primary listserve for activities relating to sustainability on higher education campuses. Ask questions, post events, publications, etc..
- Inside Higher Ed: "Getting to Green" a blog by G. Rendell - an administrator pushes, on a shoestring budget, to move his university and the world toward a more sustainable equilibrium. Sign up for this daily blog
- News Digests Archives - updates on HEASC activities, 2006-2009
Consortiums for Sustainability
- Letter to Sec. Duncan, 2012
"On behalf of the thousands of higher education leaders from across the nation who are committed to helping the U.S. find a pathway towards a more sustainable future, we write to urge you to include $50 million in the President’s FY2013 Budget Request for the University Sustainability Program (USP)..."
- Letter to Sen. Boxer and Sen. Inhofe, 2009
"We, the undersigned leaders of higher education associations, write to urge you to recognize the vital role of education, at all levels, in preparing the American people to participate fully in a clean energy economy..."